Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week #6 - Natural vs Artificial

I've realized that the vast majority of the time I take the time to notice light in the world around me, it is some form of natural light. The sun, in all its various manifestations, continually dazzles me with its beauty. Therefore, this week I was resolutely determined to find lighting which I considered striking that originated from an artificial source. While I can readily appreciate sunlight's immense capacity for warmth and power, I am attracted by the possibilities related to angle of light that can be afforded me by placing a lamp in unorthodox places around the dancer. When walking past this stairway in the early evening, I was amazing by the way that the uncovered light shining by the doorway directly below me could create such a fascinating and inviting glow around the steps and railings. I felt the instinctive desire to place dancers in that lovely welcoming radiance, and wondered if it would be possible to recreate a similar effect on stage.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo and a really interesting idea - would love to see a dance based around a live practical source onstage

    ReplyDelete