Sunday, November 13, 2011

WEEK 7: KONA


This is Kona. This week Kona turned three years old. As a baby she was rescued from a cardboard box in the middle of the street. My boyfriend’s roommate at the time went off to train as a US Coast Guard and left my boyfriend in custody with Kona. Never having a cat before my boyfriend and I quickly discovered her playful and energetic ways from the very beginning. If its a cat toy, she wont play with it. Kona always plays with unexpected things. This picture in particular I took while we were playing in her carpeted tower. As she looked up to chase the shoelace I was able to capture her focus. Anytime Kona is in focus mode her pupils get rather large and lose their green marbled look. What I like about this picture is how the light was captured on the left and her batman shadow is captured just above. Although the eye is drawn to the bright areas of the photo, the interplay between bright and dark, highlight and shadow are seen. Since the flash focused the light mainly on the pale background to the left, it allows the viewer to pick up the texture of her tiny hairs and intent expression. When I look at this photo it makes me think that Kona is playing a game of “peek-a-boo.” Kona’s head just peeking within the frame shows her playful and curious nature.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute and does comment nicely on selective visibility, how light can help us concentrate on what is important

    ReplyDelete