Sunday, November 20, 2011

Week #8 - Reflections

This week I have been finalizing the choreography for my second lighting project, and for this have been exploring the different possibilities afforded me by using gloves with lights in the fingers. I discovered by accident that one of my favorite effects involved the ability of the colored light to reflect off the marley floor, creating beautiful pools of light that could highlight the small, subtle movements of my dancers' hands in their close floor work. A few days later, as I was driving home, I noticed that the stoplights at each intersection were creating the same sort of lovely reflections on the wet ground of the street. I hadn't really noticed them earlier in the day when the sun was brighter, so this tells me that I will have to have a very dark environment in the floor work section of my dance in order for the reflections on the ground to show up nicely. I also saw that the colored light appeared to show up a lot better than the plain white light, but this might be because of the phenomenon we talked about in class, whereby our eye is immediately drawn to the color of light we perceive as the "warmest."

1 comment:

  1. Very nice exploration - nice to see you thinking about lighting from the outset of a piece - I hope you and Katy have a great collaboration on this

    ReplyDelete