Sunday, November 20, 2011

WEEK 8: FILTERED LIGHT

On Monday I had come across a forest green soda bottle on a bench at UCI. At first I was drawn to the bottle from a distance and how the light came through. Walking closer I saw a reflected shadow with a glowing colored beam radiating on the cemented bench. I had instantly thought of our beginning weeks of class when I had learned about colored theatrical lighting in the 16th century with a barber basin and a bottle as a lens. This bottle reminded me of how bottles were used to light objects and how technology has transitioned from gelatin to gels. Although this technology is no longer used for stage or lighting, I feel the reflected light can create a sense of warmth with its high contrast gobo like pattern. With the sun shining through the bottle I am able to see the refraction come from behind the bottle to create high contrast pattern. Since the bottle is empty I can clearly see the edges and outline of the bottle; creating an artistic design.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post - I was looking at a cyrstal glass last night, with this same green color, and thinking about a lot of the same things - weird :)

    Nice observations!

    ReplyDelete