Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 3: The Nature Show


One balmy night, my husband and I were hanging out with family in Indianapolis, Indiana. We had a long, lingering dinner, laughing, sharing stories and playing with my sister's two hilarious little kids, Chloe and Owen. We were walking out to leave, and were stopped in our tracks by this amazing view. A gigantic cumulus cloud filled the sky directly above my sister's house. For at least 10 minutes, we watched the cloud light up from the inside out in a spectacular display of heat lightning. It was so strange and beautiful, one of those moments that makes me feel like such a small speck in the vast universe. I couldn't tear myself away, and neither could anyone else. Eventually, everyone in the house was outside watching. We all stood, gasping in amazement at every new pulse of light, each one completely different than the one before it. I love it when nature reminds us that we are not in control. It reminds me to focus my thoughts and energy on the things that really matter.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photo! Nice post about the power of light in nature :)

    ReplyDelete