Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week 1 - Fading Light

On our last day together before my closest friend and long-time dance partner moved to Hong Kong for a performance contract, we witnessed the most beautiful sunset at the beach that I have ever experienced. Thinking back on it, I am reminded of Lonnie's comment that we tend to mentally light important memories according to the emotional landscape of the moment. I think this is very true in this case, because I remembered the sunlight as being very cold, with a soft wash of several different colors that were stunning, although not overly saturate. I was surprised that the splendor of horizon was not sharply demarcated from the chill of the windswept coastline. I was profoundly struck by the presence of such beauty painted across the sky--a canvass so vast it was impossible to ignore--floating just out of reach. I was also very aware of the inescapable temporal quality accompanying this vision; even the most glorious sunset will soon begin to fade away before your eyes. Like any perfect moment, there is no way for them to linger except in photographs, imperfect representations to help you hold the images in your memory.

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful and detailed post! A great mix of what is happening and how we embellish it with emotion, thus providing more meaning

    ReplyDelete