Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week #3 - Misty Mornings

When looking through my swatch book this week to light our last blog project, I was fascinated by the idea that there is no such thing as gray light. I studied clouds in the sky every time I was outside, and (although I saw endless white clouds) I couldn't seem to spot a gray one. They always ended up being lavender as Lonnie had suggested, or some variation of another color. Then, on my daily morning commute, my car was suddenly enveloped in fog. I had always thought of fog as being gray, but when I took at good look at the fog bank from a distance it resembled nothing more that a cloud on the ground. When driving through it I realized why I had envisioned the light inside fog as being gray. The water vapor in the air is so thick that it blocks out a great deal of the light passing through it, bringing down the overall intensity of the light dramatically. Even though the sun was bright outside the fog, all the colors were very muted when looking through the mist. It occurred to me that maybe that works in a similar way to the materials in the very back of the swatch book, since they are also made of thicker materials that won't let as much light through.

1 comment:

  1. I need to think about this and get back to you, as it is not exactly what is happening.

    Nice post though and it is great that you are observing color in a different way :)

    ReplyDelete