Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week #4 - Brilliant Beams

This week I've been thinking about the way in which the shape and structure of light can affect the feeling it engenders. I had previously thought mostly about intensity and color to create emotion, but in our improv lighting experiments I noticed the way that the impact of the design was highly dependent upon the shape of the light. We don't have to use gobos to play with shape in lighting. The difference between using of a wide wash or a confined spot of light can make all the difference in a design. My personal favorite technique that I've seen thus far in the class is using a single shin far downstage or upstage to create a sharp, angled beam of light. When I saw the way in which the sunlight was creating streaks in the sky as it passed through the clouds, it reminded me strongly of the effect I had so appreciated with the shin. I was so excited to snap a picture of it which actually captured the beauty of the moment! I think that I am drawn to the idea of having a clear source of light, and then playing with the gradations of light and shadow which result.

1 comment:

  1. Great image and great exploration of light as shape or as architecture - we think a lot about this as a designer and it can really affect the audience and lead them towards the meaning of a piece, when done well

    I look forward to seeing you explore this more :)

    ReplyDelete